Bunkhouse travel trailers are an excellent choice for families and groups who enjoy camping and road trips.
These unique recreational vehicles offer a perfect blend of practicality and comfort by incorporating bunk beds and additional living spaces.
With an increasing number of options on the market, finding the best bunkhouse travel trailer can be a daunting task. This article aims to make that search easier by showcasing some of the top options available.
Our Top Picks
Jayco Eagle HT
Best Premium Option
The Passport 221BH by Keystone is a travel trailer that offers a blend of comfort and functionality. With an overall length of 26 ft. (312 in.), a width of 8 ft. (96 in.), and a height of 10.67 feet (128 inches), this RV provides ample space for a family or group of friends to enjoy a memorable camping experience.
The dry weight of the Passport 221BH is 5,181 lbs., making it relatively easy to tow with a suitable vehicle.
One of the notable features of this travel trailer is its liveability. With an intelligently designed floor plan, the Passport 221BH optimizes interior space and offers a variety of sleeping arrangements. The trailer can accommodate several guests, allowing everyone to stay comfortable while on the road. The 221BH comes equipped with a queen-size bed, providing comfortable sleeping accommodations for its occupants, and for additional sleeping options, this model also features a convertible sofa bed, allowing for more flexibility when traveling with family or friends.
In terms of overall quality, the Passport 221BH boasts reliable construction, ensuring that it can withstand various weather conditions. Moreover, it comes with an 18-year roof warranty for an added layer of peace of mind.
The payload capacity of the Passport 221BH ensures that it can carry plenty of cargo and gear for various adventures, making it a versatile choice for outdoor enthusiasts and vacationers alike.
Driving and towing the Passport 221BH are made easy with its manageable size and weight. With the right towing accessories, users can expect smooth and hassle-free transportation, making their journeys enjoyable.
The factory warranty offered by Keystone reflects the confidence they have in the build quality and performance of the Passport 221BH. While specific terms may vary, potential buyers can expect some level of protection against manufacturer defects.
The Passport 221BH by Keystone is a travel trailer that delivers a blend of comfort, function, and reliability. With its well-crafted floor plan, liveable interior, and manageable size for towing, it’s an excellent choice for individuals and families seeking a memorable camping experience.
- Lightweight: The Passport 221BH has a relatively low weight, making it easier to tow with a variety of vehicles
- Sleeping Capacity: This travel trailer provides ample sleeping space, accommodating up to 6-8 people with a queen-size bed, bunk beds, and a dinette that converts into a bed
- Storage: The 221BH features plenty of storage options, including a pantry, pass-through storage compartment, and wardrobes in the bedroom area
- Outdoor Kitchen: Equipped with an outdoor kitchen, the Passport 221BH allows for convenient cooking and dining experiences while enjoying the outdoors
- Construction Quality: Keystone is known for producing durable and reliable RVs, and the Passport 221BH is no exception with a strong, well-built frame and materials
- Price: The Passport 221BH can be relatively expensive, with an MSRP of around $42,339, which may be a drawback for those on a budget
- Limited Interior Space: Despite providing adequate sleeping capacity, the interior living space may feel cramped for larger families or groups
- Simplistic Design: Some users may find the Passport 221BH’s design aesthetic too basic or lacking in luxury features when compared to other travel trailers
- Tight Bathroom: The bathroom in the 221BH is relatively small, which may present challenges for individuals in need of more space for their daily routines
The Jayco Eagle HT is a popular choice among RV enthusiasts and for good reason. With its spacious floor plan options and a range of features designed for comfort and convenience, it’s no wonder this fifth wheel continues to impress its owners.
As a shorter alternative to the Eagle Travel Trailer, the Jayco Eagle HT travel trailers come in a range of lengths, from 34’11” to 38′ 9″ and weigh between 7,940 to 9,500 lbs.
One notable aspect of the Jayco Eagle HT is its liveability. The various floor plans available cater to different preferences and group sizes, ensuring that owners can find the perfect configuration for their needs. The Eagle HT can comfortably sleep up to 10 occupants, making it suitable for large families or groups of friends.
Quality and convenience also play a key role in the Eagle HT’s appeal. The RV comes with a 15,000 BTU air conditioning unit running on a Whisper Quiet system, ensuring a cool and peaceful environment inside. Additionally, the Keyed Alike System streamlines the locking experience by reducing the number of keys needed for the RV.
Another winning aspect of the Jayco Eagle HT is the customization options available. The rooftop and side solar prep make it easy for users to connect solar panels in any configuration they prefer, whether it’s a portable suitcase-style panel or a permanently mounted option on the roof.
In terms of off-grid capabilities, these trailers come pre-wired for an inverter, which allows easy addition of one to enable running the rig on batteries. Coupled with an 81-gallon freshwater tank, the Eagle HT is suitable for off-grid camping.
Jayco Eagle HT trailers are known for their robust construction and longevity, making them a sound investment for years of enjoyment.
The Jayco Eagle HT is a versatile and well-equipped travel trailer series, perfect for those seeking a comfortable and convenient camping experience. With a variety of floorplans and a host of features, there is an Eagle HT to suit the needs and preferences of almost any camper, making it a popular choice for those searching for an easy-to-tow, feature-packed travel trailer.
- Compact and lightweight: The Eagle HT is the smallest fifth wheel in Jayco’s Eagle line, making it easier to manage and tow with a light-duty truck. This compact design provides convenience for those looking to use the RV for short trips and weekends
- MORryde pin box and suspension: The unit features a MORryde Orbital pin box, which absorbs sway and motion of the trailer for a better towing experience. Additionally, the Eagle HT comes with a MORryde wet bolt suspension, providing better control while on the road
- Goodyear Eagle tires: Jayco Eagle HT units are equipped with 16-inch Goodyear Eagle tires, which offer reliability and durability for your RV adventures
- Various floor plans: This fifth wheel offers a range of floor plans to accommodate different needs and preferences. Buyers can choose from several layouts to find the perfect fit for their travels and lifestyle
- Some quality issues: According to user reviews on RV Insider, there have been a few instances of quality concerns, such as issues with the refrigerator within the first few months of use. It is essential to keep in mind that experiences may vary and conduct thorough research and inspections before purchasing
- Limited factory warranty: Reviewers also mentioned that the Jayco Eagle HT’s factory warranty could be improved, as the offered coverage doesn’t always satisfy customer needs. This can lead to frustration for some buyers in case of unexpected repairs or defects
- Compatibility with half-ton trucks: While the Eagle HT bears the HT designation, which implies it can be towed by a half-ton truck, some buyers may need to verify if their specific truck model is suitable for towing the RV, as it still has considerable weight
Best Premium Option
The Cougar 30BHS travel trailer is a versatile and comfortable option for RV enthusiasts. This bunk model offers unique features that cater to both couples and families, providing ample space and amenities for a satisfying camping experience.
Measuring 34.42 ft. (413 in.) in length and 11.42 ft. (137 in.) in height, the Cougar 30BHS provides ample space for occupants. Its width of 8 ft. (96 in.) ensures that it remains easy to maneuver and accommodates the spacious floor plan.
When it comes to weight, this travel trailer has a dry weight of approximately 6,795 lbs. and a payload capacity of 7,380 lbs. This combination makes the Cougar 30BHS suitable for various tow vehicles and offers significant carrying capacity for camping essentials.
The living space in the Cougar 30BHS is outstanding, with a king-sized bed for a touch of luxury during your travels. The trailer also incorporates flexible storage and sleeping solutions, ensuring you have plenty of room for all your camping essentials and can easily accommodate additional guests.
A notable feature of the Cougar 30BHS is its efficient heating and cooling system. The unit comes equipped with a 35,000 BTU furnace, an electric fireplace, and a heated and enclosed underbelly. This Climate Guard protection package ensures comfort in a wide range of temperatures, functioning efficiently in conditions up to 110°F and down to 0°F.
The Cougar 30BHS also benefits from PEX plumbing, which enhances hot-water retention and reduces condensation in cold water lines. This added touch contributes to the overall convenience and comfort of staying in this travel trailer. The trailer is equipped with sizable tanks to handle fresh water, gray water, and black water. These tanks ensure that occupants have access to the necessary resources during their camping trips, further enhancing the overall experience.
In terms of construction, the Cougar 30BHS is backed by Keystone’s excellent warranties. The trailer comes with a 12-month basic warranty, a 36-month structure warranty, and an outstanding 18-year roof warranty, highlighting the manufacturer’s confidence in their product.
Users seem satisfied with the towing performance of the Cougar 30BHS. The trailer’s design ensures a smooth drive and reliable stability while on the road.
The Cougar 30BHS offers a well-appointed living space, flexible sleeping and storage options, and efficient heating and cooling systems. It is a compelling option for couples and families who desire a comfortable and versatile RV experience.
- Flexible sleeping and storage solutions: The Cougar 30BHS comes with a raised floor at the back of the trailer, which features two double bunks. The lower bunk has a section that swings upward, revealing a large storage compartment
- King-sized bed: In addition to the bunk beds, the travel trailer also boasts of a king-sized bed, making it an ideal choice for couples who value comfort during their travels
- Luxury amenities: Despite being a travel trailer, the 30BHS comes equipped with luxury amenities, such as theater-style seating, a fireplace, and an island kitchen
- Price: The Keystone Cougar 30BHS may not be the most budget-friendly choice, especially for those who are new to RVing and might be hesitant to make such a substantial investment
- Towing requirements: Due to its size and weight, potential owners must be prepared for the towing requirements of this model. Buyers need to ensure their towing vehicle can handle the Cougar 30BHS
When searching for the best bunkhouse travel trailer on the market, it’s essential to consider factors such as quality, reviews, manufacturer reputation, and warranty options. Bunkhouse travel trailers are perfect for families and groups since they offer additional sleeping spaces with their unique bunk bed layouts.
Start by looking at the top travel trailer brands and manufacturers known for their high-quality offerings. Some reputable brands include Keystone RV, Forest River, and Dutchmen. Checking online reviews can help understand the pros and cons of different models and provide valuable user experiences.
RV finder websites can be invaluable resources for comparing different bunkhouse travel trailers and finding the perfect fit for your needs. These platforms can narrow down options by size, weight, sleeping capacity, and other essential features.
If you’re unsure where to start, consider utilizing personal shopper services, which many RV dealerships and websites offer. Personal shoppers can help you find suitable bunkhouse travel trailers based on your budget, preferences, and requirements, making the shopping experience smooth and enjoyable.
Be sure to consider the limited warranty options available for the bunkhouse travel trailer you are interested in purchasing. A solid warranty provided by the manufacturer indicates their confidence in the product’s quality and offers peace of mind to the buyer.
By keeping these factors in mind and doing thorough research, you can make an informed decision and confidently choose the best bunkhouse travel trailer to suit your family’s needs.
Things to Consider
Size and Weight
When purchasing a bunkhouse travel trailer, it is essential to consider the size and weight of the unit. Length and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) are vital factors in determining whether a trailer is suitable for your towing vehicle. Opting for a lightweight travel trailer can alleviate stress on your tow vehicle and improve fuel efficiency. Furthermore, consider a model with slide-outs to provide additional living and sleeping space without increasing the trailer’s overall weight significantly.
Budget plays a crucial role in the decision-making process. Bunkhouse travel trailers can range from budget-friendly to luxurious, with prices varying from $10,000 up to several hundred thousand dollars. The price usually depends on factors such as layout, floor plan, quality, and amenities. Be sure to establish a spending limit before starting your search to find an affordable, yet durable, option that aligns with your financial situation.
The sleeping capacity of a bunkhouse travel trailer is a critical aspect to consider based on your family size or traveling group. Bunkhouse travel trailers excel in offering flexible spaces for both adults and children, maximizing sleeping arrangements. When choosing a model, take note of the number of bunk beds and how many people the unit can comfortably accommodate. This ensures that the trailer can provide adequate space for your family or group, including larger families.
Bunkhouse travel trailers offer various exterior features to enhance your camping experience. These may include a power awning that provides shade and shelter for an outside living setup. Fiberglass exteriors provide increased durability, while the rear cargo door allows for easy access to storage. Many models also have solar power capabilities that minimize dependency on external power sources.
The interior of a bunkhouse travel trailer is designed to provide comfortable living spaces for families. Amenities such as a spacious bathroom, large pantry, and refrigerator help make daily routines easier. In addition, some trailers come with an electric fireplace and a U-shaped or L-shaped dinette for dining, socializing, and lounging. Theater seating can also be found in some models for added relaxation.
Arguably, the most critical aspect of a bunkhouse travel trailer is its sleeping arrangements. These trailers often provide a variety of sleeping options, such as double-over-double bunks, queen beds, and Murphy beds. In addition, some models feature an open bunkhouse layout with three bunks, which increases the sleeping capacity, making it suitable for larger families or groups. All these arrangements are designed to provide optimal sleeping room and comfort for their occupants.
Bunkhouse travel trailers are known for their storage solutions, ensuring that campers can bring along all their camping necessities without feeling cramped. Features like oversized cargo storage and increased storage spaces accommodate all your gear, while dual wardrobes and closets in the master suite provide ample room for clothing and personal items. This attention to storage helps maintain an organized and clutter-free living environment during your camping adventures.
Bunkhouse travel trailers offer a wide array of benefits to meet various camping needs, allowing travelers to have a comfortable and enjoyable trip. Whether for privacy, comfort, or convenience, choosing a bunkhouse travel trailer can elevate the entire experience.
And be sure to check out this list of RV Camping Essentials to help get you ready for your next trip!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Hey there, I’m Ryan, the face behind Beyond The Tent.
With decades of camping experiences, my journey into the wilderness began on the rustic trails of a farm in southern Minnesota, where my childhood was filled with explorations and camping by a picturesque river.
My family’s adventures across the United States, from the majestic Colorado mountains to the serene national parks and the pristine Boundary Waters Canoe Area of Northern Minnesota have given me a broad perspective. With each journey, whether in state parks or private encampments, and through the homely comfort of our camping trailers, we’ve amassed a trove of stories, experiences, and invaluable camping wisdom.