Winter camping is a completely different experience than summer camping. It presents new challenges, and brings new excitement and joy to people willing to give this hobby a try.
The challenge and fun of experiencing the outdoors in a whole new way in winter is one that every camper should try at some point.
However, winter camping also presents a new set of dangers if you’re not prepared. Making sure you re warm and have the ability to get out safely if the unexpected happen are extremely important.
On this page, we’ve rounded up all our best winter camping guides all in one place so you can take in everything you want winter camping related.
Winter Camping How Tos
If you’re looking to learn and gather as much information about winter camping as possible, this is where you should start.
This post covers everything you need to know to get started winter camping. From things like what clothing to pack, making camp, starting a campfire, staying warm, dealing with bad weather and more.
If you don’t want to spend a fortune on a high end 4 season tent, this post will show you how to insulate your tent for cold weather camping.
Winter Backpacking: How to Have a Enjoyable Trek in the Snow
This post covers winter backpacking gear, laying clothing, planning your trip, and dealing with emergencies.
Believe it or not, hammock camping is also something you can enjoy in winter.
Car camping is camping where you can drive your car straight into your campsite. This is the perfect type of camping to start with if you are new to winter camping.
Beyond insulating your tent, there are multiple different ways to keep warm in your tent and stay safe.
Essential Winter Camping Gear
Below, we’ve put together a checklist of some of the most essential winter camping gear to stay safe and warm.
The Best Winter Camping Gear Posts
Check out the posts below for even more of the best winter camping gear.
This post covers the basic winter camping gear that you will need to get started winter camping.
Possibly even more important than a great 4 season tent is a proper winter sleeping bag. Here are our picks for the best cold weather sleeping bags.
Finding a good 4 season tent is essential to a successful winter camping trip. Here are our favorite winter camping tents.
The Best RV Heaters for Winter Camping in 2022
If you’re wanting to go RV camping in the winter, here are some of the best options for RV heaters to help keep your RV warm.
Winter hiking can be beautiful and a great cardio exercise. Here are our picks for the best showshoes for winter hiking.
The Best Winter Hiking Boots For 2022
You can’t go winter hiking without a great pair of winter hiking boots that keep your feet warm and comfortable.
Keeping your tent warm without putting yourself in danger is essential to winter camping.
The 9 Best Cross-Country Skis for 2022
The Best Places To Go Winter Camping
We have started to put together some of the best places to go winter camping in each state. Make sure to check back often as we keep updating our list to income more destinations in more states.
Recent Winter Camping Posts
- Skills for a Safe and Exciting Bushcraft Winter Camping TripBushcraft, the art and science of using resources available in the environment for survival in the outdoors, can be a critical component of winter camping. …
- Essential Cold Weather Camping Gear for Every Outdoor EnthusiastWord to the wise: don’t go camping in the winter without the proper cold-weather camping gear. Having the right gear will mean the difference between …
- Mastering the Art Of Hot Tent CampingHot tent camping is probably one of the most luxurious ways to camp in the winter. If you’ve camped during the winter, you know how …
- Winterproof Your RV: The Best RV Skirting For Winter CampingDid you wake up this morning to a bit of a chill in the air and relish in the fact that fall is upon us…but …
- The Ultimate Guide to Winter Truck CampingWinter camping is an amazing way to experience nature in the quiet solitude of some of the country’s most beautiful landscapes. Winter truck camping gives …
- Why Snowshoe Poles Are a Winter Hiking Essential + Our Top 3 PicksIf you’ve ever been snowshoeing without poles, you likely found areas that were difficult to navigate. Snowshoe poles can make it easier to get through …
- Dressing for Success: What to Wear SnowshoeingHistorians estimate that people have been snowshoeing for 4,000 to 6,000 years. That means we’ve had plenty of time to perfect the process, which includes …
- Winter Camping in Maine: Experience the Woods Like Never BeforeIf you have your sights set on experiencing winter camping at its finest, it likely comes as no surprise that Maine is a fantastic state …
- The Best Spots for Winter Camping in OregonWinter camping is one of the most adventurous and rewarding activities out there, especially in the beautiful state of Oregon. But one of the problems …
- Yes, You Can Go Winter Camping in Arizona!Are you looking to go winter camping somewhere that can guarantee cooler days and chilly nights, but without the risk of a major snowfall interrupting …