Just because you’re camping doesn’t mean you can’t keep all your devices fully charged.
A portable power device is the key to charging smartphones, GPS devices, cameras, and laptops at the campground or on a road trip.
It’s even possible to power a CPAP while camping, run a refrigerator or electric cooler, or even use a heater with the right portable power station.
Today, we’re going to look at the best portable power for camping in 2021.
Looking for a portable solar panel for camping? Our guide to camping solar panels breaks down the top options in detail!
Best Portable Power for Camping in 2021
We’ve done a lot of research over the past several years. We’ve constantly updated our top picks as new products have been released and old products have been refined.
With that in mind, these are the top 7 best portable power devices for camping in 2021.
1. Goal Zero Yeti 150
Type: Portable Power Station
The Goal Zero Yeti 150 is hands down our favorite portable power station for camping in 2021.
As a power station, it’s not exactly light (it clocks in at 12 pounds), but it packs a big punch in terms of battery capacity and charging power.
It has 168 watt hours of battery capacity which is more than enough to charge smartphones, tablets, and even laptops. I’ve run string lights and a heating pad off of this Goal Zero power station with no issue.
Of course, the Yeti 150 does have its limitations. It’s not designed to provide continuous power to appliances like refrigerators, CPAP machines, or electric heaters.
Luckily, Goal Zero has an extensive line of power stations for those that need a little more oomph.
The Yeti 150 pairs seamlessly with Goal Zero’s extensive line of portable solar panels, including the Goal Zero Boulder 50.
2. Jackery Explorer 500
Type: Power Station
The Jackery Explorer 500 is a fantastic mid-size portable power station for camping.
Designed specifically for camping and off-the-grid living, the Explorer 500 boasts a highly reliable lithium ion battery that provides 518 watt hour battery capacity, 500 watts rated power, and 1,000 watts surge power.
It has multiple outlet ports, including three USB ports, an AC outlet, and a 12V car outlet. You can recharge the device via AC wall outlet, DC car outlet, or with a portable solar panel.
What I like most about this Jackery power station is its durable design (this thing is seriously rugged) and its surprisingly lightweight. It weighs in at just a hair over 13 pounds.
The Jackery Explorer 500 is a solid all-around power station. It’s great for charging small devices and can even power a CPAP machine overnight.
I personally prefer Goal Zero power stations, but I know a heck of a lot of people that favor those from Jackery above all else. The brand has a solid reputation in the outdoor industry.
3. Goal Zero Nomad 10
Type: Solar Charger
The Goal Zero Nomad 10 is our top choice for on-the-go campers.
Unlike a power station, this solar charger is super lightweight (just 1 lb 1.6 oz) which makes it perfect for backpacking.
Another key difference is the lack of battery storage. Instead of charging your devices off a battery, you actually charge your devices from the solar panel itself.
Naturally, this poses a big limitation. You can only use the Nomad 10 during the day. Although you can hang it from your backpack to use on the move, it works much better on the ground in a sunny location.
Despite these setbacks, a solar charger is a fantastic option for backpackers where saving weight is a huge concern. It does a surprisingly solid job at charging headlamps, smartphones, GPS navigators, and other small devices.
I really like that the Goal Zero Nomad 10 has a built-in kickstand to get the best charging angle towards the sun.
Personally, I almost always pair this solar charger with a portable power bank (I like the Goal Zero Flip 36) on my backpacking trips. That way, I still have the ability to charge my devices at night without adding much weight.
4. Nekteck 21
Type: Solar Charger
The Nekteck 21 is a robust solar charger for those on a budget.
It boasts 21 watts solar cell output capacity for just a fraction of the cost of many competitors. It clocks in at just 17.3 ounces total, making it ideal for backpacking.
The Nekteck 21 has two fast-charging USB ports so you can charge two devices at once. Built-in smart technology enables the solar charger to detect which type of devices you’re charging to best maximize charging speed.
Another highlight of this backpacking solar panel is its durability. High-quality materials are used to prevent damage in the field. A canvas outer layer protects the device from bumps and bruises. It’s also water resistant.
The only drawback is the lack of an internal battery. This can be easily solved by packing along a portable power bank.
5. Suaoki S270
Type: Power Station
The Suaoki S270 is another one of our favorite portable power stations for camping in 2021.
Although it’s not my favorite, I like the Suaoki because of its lightweight, compact design. It weighs just 2.9 pounds. Two hideable carry handles make it easy to move around the campsite.
The Suaoki S270 has 10 charging ports for all your charging needs. It boasts 150 watt hours of power output. It can charge all devices under 100 watts.
This is a great choice for budget campers thanks to its low price. It’s also quite durable which means you won’t have to replace it anytime soon.
6. Anker PowerCore II+ 6700
Type: Power Pack
The Anker PowerCore II+ 6700 is small but it packs a big punch.
As a portable power pack, it’s incredibly lightweight and doesn’t require solar to provide a charge.
It’s a great option for backpacking but I also love it for camping, hiking, and road trips. It’s also a good choice for an emergency kit.
This Anker power pack is notable for its stellar capacity-to-size ratio. It weights just 5 ounces and measures just 3.7 x 1.8 x 1 inches. But it packs a whopping charge.
To top it off, the PowerCore II+ 6700 is sleek and stylish. It has 6 bright LED lights to let you know how much juice is left in the battery bank.
7. Maxoak Bluetti EB150
Type: Power Station
The Maxoak Bluetti EB150 might be last on our list – but it’s definitely worth a look.
As far as high-capacity power stations go, it’s honestly one of my favorites for camping in 2021.
The EB150 produces 1500 watt hours and 100 max watts. You can recharge the power station via wall outlet, car outlet, or solar panel.
Because of its high capacity, recharging this Bluetti power station isn’t exactly quick. With most solar panel setups, it will take several days to get a full charge.
The EB150 has several USB ports and two AC outlets. The LED screen shows you how much battery life is left.
Personally, the Maxoak Bluetti EB150 is my top recommendation for long-term camping such as vandwelling or off-grid living. Pair it with a solar panel setup for the best benefits possible.
Portable Power Buyerâ€™s Guide
Here are a few of the most important things to keep in mind when reviewing your options for the best portable power supply for camping.
Before You Buy
Here are the most important factors to consider before buying portable power for camping.
- Type of Device â€“ What do you intend to power? Your smartphone, laptop, a television, a refrigerator?
- Power Output â€“ How much power do you need? Most manufacturers measure this in mAh (milliamp hours). About 10,000 mAh translates to 3 complete smartphone charges.
- Type of Camping â€“ Are you backpacking, car camping, or boondocking? Backpacking requires a small, lightweight portable power device outlet while boondocking has few size/weight limits.
- Frequency of Camping â€“ How often do you camp? If you camp on a regular basis, itâ€™s probably worth investing in a more powerful device (even if it costs more upfront).
- Camping Location â€“ Solar power for camping is hot right now. Yet itâ€™s not right for every location. Youâ€™re better off with battery power in many locations.
Your answers to these questions dictate, at least partially, what type of portable power bank for camping is right for you.
How to Choose Portable Power For Camping
Now that you have a better idea of what type of portable power device is best for you, here’s what you need to know to further narrow your options.
- Number of Users â€“ Will only you be using the power device? Or do you need one capable of powering devices from several users?
- Age of Users â€“ Those with children should select portable power devices that are safe for youngsters to use.
- Power Type â€“ How is the device powered? Popular options include solar power, wind power, gasoline power, and rechargeable electric (at home or with your carâ€™s 12V cigarette lighter).
- Battery Storage â€“ Does the portable power source simply recharge devices or does it store a charge itself? The inclusion of an in-built battery is valuable, especially for solar chargers.
- Capacity â€“ How many charges does the device provide? Power output is usually measured in mAh (milliamp hours), but most manufacturers also list this in more usable terms.
- Size/Weight â€“ How big and heavy is the portable power gadget? Small size and lightweight are of utmost importance for backpacking. Remember that larger devices usually have a higher power output/capacity.
- Durability â€“ Camping takes a serious toll on outdoor gear. Ensure your power source is prepared for hot sun, snow, and rain as well as bumps and bruises.
- Features â€“ How many charging ports does the device have? Are these standard power outlets, USB ports, or something else? Solo campers might be fine with one portable power outlet while family campers should look for a device with multiple charging ports.
- Emergency Backup â€“ Not all portable power devices can jumpstart a car. If thatâ€™s something you want, select one with this emergency capability.
Consider all of these factors ahead of time to narrow down the options to the type of portable power for camping that matches your personal needs and preferences.
Portable Power for Camping FAQ
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions (with answers) about portable power for camping.
Q: Will my portable solar panel work in cloudy weather?
A: Solar panels work best in bright, sunny weather. That said, they still perform in cloudy conditions, although at a slower rate (roughly 25% of total charging output depending on the model).
Q: How do you charge a portable power station?
A: You can charge your portable power station via a wall outlet, 12v car port, or a portable solar panel.
Q: How much power output do I need from my portable power device for camping?
A: You might only need enough power to recharge your smartphone once or twice. For longer trips, you’ll probably want to recharge your devices several times – and maybe even power small appliances. A portable solar panel enables you to recharge your power station as many times as needed.
There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to portable power for camping.
Need more help? Just let us know in the comments below. We’re happy to answer your portable power questions here.
Like This Post? Pin It For Later!
Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel
1 used from $229.99
- The Nomad 7 will directly charge most USB and 12V devices (not tablets). Most handheld USB devices, including: Cell phone, smart phone, GPS, MP3 player
- Collect 7 watts of solar power from the sun
- The Nomad 7 works best with the following Goal Zero products: Goal Zero Switch 8 & 10 Recharger, Flip 10 & 20 Recharger, Guide 10 Plus Recharger, Venture 30, Rock Out Portable Speakers, and Lighthouse Lanterns
- Foldable, rugged design, and weather resistant
- Use the USB and 12V ports at the same time. The Nomad 7 will split the incoming solar power between the two ports to charge devices simultaneously (Some devices may not be compatible)
Nekteck 21W Portable Solar Panel
3 used from $45.02
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on SunPower Maxeon technology, that allows them to reach 21%-24% of conversion efficiency while providing enough power (up to 2.0A max per port or 3.0 A max overall)
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 Microchip support to detects the electronic devices plugged into the USB ports for fast charging two phones simultaneously under safe conditions as well as the prevention of overheating
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design that can easily squeeze in your backpack offers portability and simplicity, and the attachment hook makes it ideal for connecting to a backpack while you’re on the hiking or walking around town
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and the PET polymer cover that guarantees IPX4 waterproof level protection will make the panels resistant to water and even dust
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Solar Charging Panel, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual
Anker 21W Solar Charger
3 used from $52.79
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology
- Fast Charging Technology: PowerIQ delivers the charging speed up to 2.4 amps per port or 3 amps overall under direct sunlight. 21 watt SunPower solar array is 21.5-23.5% efficient, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously
- Incredibly Durable: Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar panels sewn into a rugged polyester canvas offer weather-resistant outdoor durability
- Highly Portable: Compact size (11.1 × 6.3in folded or 26.4 × 11.1in opened) and stainless-steel eye-holes on each corner allow easy attachment to backpacks, trees, or tents. Lightweight and ultra-thin design make it ideal for long treks
- What You Get: Anker PowerPort Solar (21W 2-Port USB Solar Charger), 3ft Micro USB cable, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service
SUAOKI Portable Power Station
- [BE COMPACT, BE EFFICIENT]: SUAOKI S270 is not only the most compact power station in the market, but also features as many output ports as possible, think of it, size of two coffee mugs hold 150wh capacity and 10 various outlet ports, how convenient will be when you carry this 2.90 lbs weight portable generator for outdoor activites or camping, 2 hideable handles make it even more portable. If this is your first time to using a power station, this would be you best choice for the price
- [PLUG-AND-PLAY, QUIET]: SUAOKI S270 lithium backup battery pack equipped with 150Wh capacity (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh), 3*USB ports(5V 2.1A), 1*QC3.0 USB port (18W max), 4*DC ports (12V 15A 180W max), 1*2 prong and 1*3 prong output socket (100W running, 150W peak). Power phone, pad, tablets, GPS, laptop, walkie-talkie, Gopro, camera, drone, festivals bulbs and camping explore devices under 100W, enjoy off the grid life, travel, hunting, fishing, vanlife, cave exploration
- [3 RECHARGE METHODS]: SUAOKI S270 emergency battery supply provides three recharging methods: 1) it takes about 7-8 hours to be fully recharged by AC 110v wall socket, ; 2) by using SUAOKI 60W or 100W solar panel kit (sold separately, recommended), this solar generator can be recharged under direct sun light, the bulid-in MPPT solar charge controller enables quick and smart charge; 3) it also can be recharged through 12V/24V car cigarette socket. (3 types of charging cable is included)
- [SAFE, RELIABLE]: Here we bring you this advanced portable generator that passed UL Certification which means absolutely safe and reliable. Battery management system (BMS) enables voltage, temperature control and more advanced safeguards, no harmful to your digital devices. Built-in LED flashlights have two models of light for blackout or emergency case such as hurricane supplies (strobe and normal-lit, bright enough to see 50 feet away); indicator lights show the residual battery capacity
- [WARRANTY]: SUAOKI brand seller offers 7*24 friendly customer service, 30 days money back guarantee, 24 months warranty, life time support. What you get: SUAOKI S270 portable power station, 3 types of mentioned charging cable (AC plug, car cigarette plug, solar panel cable), DC to car cigarette female socket, multilingual user guide, service card
Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240
- 【BUY WITH CONFIDENCE】The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- 【EASY TO CARRY】This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trip, Backyard Camping, etc.
- 【VERSATILE POWER SOURCE】 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- 【GREEN POWER SUPPLY】The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max power point for the power station to be recharged at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- 【WHAT YOU GET】1* Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger
$59.99 in stock
5 used from $52.77
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Colossal cell capacity: 2,6800 mAh of power charges most phones over 6 times, tablets at least 2 times and any other USB device multiple times.
- High-Speed Charging: 3 USB output ports equipped with Anker's PowerIQ and Voltage Boost technology ensure high-speed charging for three devices—simultaneously (Not compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge).
- Recharge 2X Faster: Dual Micro USB (20W) input offers recharge speeds up to twice as fast as standard portable chargers—a full recharge takes just over 6 hours while using both input ports (wall charger not included).
- What you get: Power core 26800, 2X Micro USB cable, Travel Pouch, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month and friendly customer service. Usb-c cable and Lightning cable for iPhone/ iPad sold separately.
Anker PowerCore II 6700 Portable Charger
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Travel Companion: Weighs in at just 5 oz (about the same as a baseball), to keep power on hand—anywhere the journey takes you.
- High-Speed Charging: Say goodbye to slow, clunky wall chargers, and experience a rapid, tailored charge with Anker's PowerIQ device-detection technology.
- Upgraded Design: A sleek yet robust finish resists scuffs and scrapes to look newer for longer. 6 bright LED indicators show power levels at a glance.
- What You Get: Anker PowerCore II 6700 Portable Charger, Micro USB cable (USB-C and Lightning cables sold separately), travel pouch, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
SnowLizard SLXtreme iPhone 7 Case
- Solar powered - trickle charges case battery to keep you powered. Ultra efficient solar cells, over 20 percent. the solar power indicator lets you adjust the case so it gets the most charge from the sun.
- Waterproof - fully submergible to 6.6'/2 M for 1 hr. Sealed from snow, ice, dirt & dust - exceeds IP-68 Ingress protection rating. Don't be afraid to use your phone in the water with our Slxtreme7.
- Integrated battery - 4000Mah for over 185 percent more power. Add 23 hrs. Talk time or 18 hrs. added video time or 12 hours of the essential app you are using in the outdoors. Never be stuck without power.
- Rugged - built to MIL Spec 810G Certification. The rubberized grips, sides and bottom protection against drops, bumps up to 6.6ft/2M. Built in screen protector helps prevent scratches to your phone. Poly-carbonate exterior, withstands extreme temperature
- Easily insert/remove phone - the bottom entry allows for easy access to your phone, without ever degrading the performance of the case. Extreme 7 case comes packed in a reusable watertight dry box.
Unifun 10400mAh Waterproof External Battery
- Creative design: Waterproof (IP66 rating), dustproof, anti-shock, skid resistance. Perfect for campers, hikers, skiers, construction workers, and many other outdoor enthusiasts.
- 10400mah of capacity charges all iPhone 5 times or large-capacity phones like the Galaxy S4 more than three times.
- Dual USB output: Fast charge two devices simultaneously (USB Output 1: 5V/1.0A, USB Output 2: 5V/2.1A). Input 5V/2A
- 4 Integrated LED Power status indicator. Auto power-off no energy loses when not in use. Reliable lithium polymer core ensures quality and supplies up to 1000 lifetime charge cycles
- Package include:1xUnifun 10400mAh Heavy Duty Waterproof LED Torch Power Bank,1xMicro USB charge cable ,1xUser guide
Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500
$499.99 in stock
- 【LONG LASTING ENDURANCE】 The Explorer 500 portable power station is built with the lithium-ion battery pack, in a safely designed frame structure to maximize, and long last the power for every single use of outdoor adventures and home use.
- 【THE PERFECT CAPACITY】 With a 518 watt-hour (24Ah, 21.6V) capacity, it is ready to power many appliances - mini fridge, cooling fan, air pump, projector, lamp light, and TV.
- 【SUPPORT PASS-THROUGH CHARGING】This power station features 1* AC outlet (110V 500W 1000W Peak), 3*USB-A ports, 2* DC ports, and 1*car port. Its Battery Management System governs each individual cell, improving the battery life cycle while being pass-through charged.
- 【DESIGNED FOR PORTABILITY】Same size as a basketball, this Explorer 500 is easy to carry with its solid handle, making it a compact and reliable choice for scenarios of camping, road-trip, RV, and home backup.
- 【WHAT YOU GET】1* Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station (518Wh Power Station), 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user manual.
MAXOAK Portable Power Station BLUETTI EB150
$899.99 in stock
- 【Huge Capacity Power Station】MAXOAK BLUETTI EB150 is equipped with 1500Wh lithium power storage, and with a large AC inverter 1000W, this Power Station is specially designed for high-power device such as blender, Drill, hair Dryer(Max.1000W). it meets various kinds of power needs and widely used for home use, outdoor activities, RV, etc.
- 【High Efficient Solar Generator】With a wide solar recharge range 16-60V(OCV) ,you can connect multi solar panels in series or parallel to provide Max.500W solar energy, and the pre-installed MPPT controller in the MAXOAK BLUETTI EB150 enable recharge the power station 40% faster. We suggest our BLUETTI SP120(120W) or BLUETTI SP200(200W) solar panel to recharge the power station.
- 【Multi Outputs for Various Power Needs】2*110V AC outlets for most household appliance under 1000W Such as blender,TV, household dryer,laptops.1* regulated DC12V for car devices like mini-fridge, car vacuum cleaner,1*45W Type-C for USB-C devices such as Laptop MacBook/MacBook Pro & PD Type-C Phones,4*5V3A(Max) USB for phones, tablets,camera,fans,light and more,Keep multi daily-used devices running in case of unexpected power failure or away from a wall outlet,widely used indoor or outdoor.
- 【Solar/AC/Generator Recharge】1)This power generator can be recharged from the sun with solar panel (Open circuit voltage must be 16V～68V(Max),Max 500W,solar panel not included). 2) This power station can be fully charged in 7.5-8 hrs by being plugged into the wall outlet.Charge time varies on the solar panel, eg. 2*BLUETTI SP200 Solar Panel in series: About 5-5.5Hrs. Tips:Car recharge: you need buy a power inverter(≥300W) yourself.
- 【What You Can Get】1 * Portable power station(EB150), 1 * AC wall charger(200W), 1 * PV Solar Charging Cable(DC7909 to MC4,1.7meters), 1 * Manual, 1 * Customer Service Card(We provide a 24 months friendly customer service.).