Comfort and convenience are two of the most essential things in everyday life and camping. It’s important to have the right chair, whether we’re talking about sitting around a campfire, watching a little league baseball game, or just lounging around on a warm summer day.
When it comes to comfort, convenience, and portability, there are few better sitting options than folding hammock chairs. If you’re not sure what a folding hammock chair is or where to get one, you’ve come to the right place!
Our Top Picks
Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury Camp Chair
Best Mid-Tier Option
KingCamp Swinging Hammock Camping Chair
Member’s Mark Swing Chair Lounger
Best Vehicle Mount
Hammaka Trailer Hitch Hammock
The Best Folding Hammock Chairs
Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury Camp Chair
The Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury Camp Chair could easily have made it to the top of this list as the best folding hammock chair overall. It’s one of the most versatile and comfortable chairs on this list and is made of some of the highest-quality materials. It swings smoothly and gently and presents the threat of accidentally rocking you to sleep. At a shade over seven pounds, it’s the perfect middle-of-the-road weight for setup and transportation.
The rust-resistant frame and mesh seats are ideal for the outdoor lifestyle. It even packs small and weighs just 2 lbs, while it supports a weight of up to 300 lbs. The supportive headrest is inbuilt and gives added comfort to this luxury lounger. Throw in the fact that the chair can recline back into an extremely comfortable position, and you’ve got one of the best chairs on the market.
- Rust-resistant durable frame for outdoor use
- Comfortable mesh seats for airflow with supportive headrest
- Auto-recline between seated and reclined positions for added flexibility and comfort
- It can be used on a wide range of terrain
- Easy to pack and unpack, good portability weighing just 2 lbs
- It comes with a drink holder, so you don’t drop your beer
- Shorter people might need a footrest to make it more comfortable.
- At $250, it’s also one of the more expensive options on this list.
Best Mid-Tier Option
KingCamp Swinging Hammock Camping Chair
Last but not least on our list of the best folding hammock chairs, this camping chair from KingCamp is another option that could be considered one of the best in the business. It features an aluminum alloy frame that’s sturdy, durable, and rust-resistant. It also has a true hammock feel and construction that allows you to alternate between sitting comfortably or lying back and reclining.
The KingCamp Foldable Camping Hammock Chair is also swinging, which adds to the hammock-like feel it gives off. It includes thickened 3D padding fabric with mesh that differs from normal fabric. Not only is it soft and comfortable, but it’s also breathable and has a padded pillow, begging to be slept upon. This recliner camp chair is designed to provide you with luxurious comfort and relaxation.
Tear-resistant fabric with strong sewing and stitching makes this one of the most durable chairs on the market. You can expect the camp chairs to last season after season!
- Strong, sturdy, rust-resistant, and durable.
- Breathable mesh material, perfect for relaxing on a warm day.
- Includes easy setup, takedown, and transportation.
- At 10.6 pounds, it’s certainly not heavy, but just enough so that it isn’t practical for hiking trips.
Member’s Mark Swing Chair Lounger
You’re always going to give up a few nice features when you move to the budget option, but the Member’s Mark Folding Hammock Chair does a decent job of trading off features. This chair has a steel frame instead of aluminum which means extra weight and the possibility of rust eventually. Additionally, this chair is not made for large people and will fit you best if you’re under 200 lbs, even though it has a 300 lb rating.
- Comes with a storage bag
- Quick setup
- Relatively heavy
- Not made for larger people
Hammaka Trailer Hitch Hammock
The Hammaka Trailer Hitch Hammock is unique, practical, and highly portable. As the name indicates, the Hammaka setup comes with two support bars and a trailer hitch that fits most cars and trucks. This setup makes for the best folding hammock chair for those looking for the ability to quickly set up their chairs wherever they are, even if you’re on an uneven surface.
There are two options. The Hammaka 10314-KP Hammock Hitch Stand does not include the chairs themselves so you’ll have to purchase those separately. You might consider a pair of the Highwild Hammock Chairs – they inexpensive and immensely popular.
The Hammaka 41531202-KP Hammock Hitch Stand with 2 Cradle Chairs comes with a parachute hammock and two cradle chairs.
- The support bars can support two chairs simultaneously, or you can change things up and hang your hammock from them.
- This setup is a perfect option for uneven surfaces or tailgating.
- Chairs aren’t included, which means that you might end up spending a decent chunk of cash when everything is said and done.
- It takes a few minutes to take apart and set up every time you use it.
Best for the Beach
Cascade Mountain Tech Hammock Camp Chair
The Cascade Mountain Tech Hammock Camp Chair looks and feels like it was made specifically for the beach. While it comes in several colors, my personal favorite for the beach is light blue, which resembles the water itself. This chair is uniquely designed with a sling design that’s meant to help you lay back and feel like you’re actually in a hammock.
It also includes built-in headrests and armrests to offer maximum comfort and stability to your joints. The seat itself is adjustable for either low sitting or high sitting, and the fabric is very breathable to keep you from sweating. Throw in the fact that it’s lightweight and comes with a carry bag, and you’ve certainly got one of the best folding hammock chairs on your hands.
- At only five pounds heavy, this is one of the lightest folding hammock chairs available.
- It’s very easy to transport and set up.
- The breathable fabric makes it easy to keep from sweating and also easy to wash off.
- It’s very affordable at $60.
- While it’s solidly built, the lightweight construction makes it less durable and sturdy than other hammock chairs.
ALPHA CAMP Folding Hammock Camping Rocking Chair
Let’s start this comprehensive list by looking at what many consider the best folding hammock chair overall. While it’s purely opinion as to which is truly the best folding hammock chair, The Alpha Camp Hammock Chair is usually at the top of everyone’s list. It provides one of the biggest and most spacious sitting areas, and it’s capable of supporting up to 500 pounds. The Alpha Camp Chair is also one of the most stable and durable options for folding hammock chairs.
This chair also comes with a padded headrest, sturdy armrests, a bottle holder in one arm, and a carry bag making for easy transportation. The fabric it’s made of is durable and breathable and will hold up well over time and in bad weather. You can also swing freely from the suspended seat, just as you would with a hammock.
- It has one of the highest weight ratings at 500 pounds.
- It has additional accessories such as the headrest and armrests that add extra comfort.
- It’s very affordable, considering how big, sturdy, and durable it is.
- The fabric is breathable and durable.
- At just over 12 pounds in weight, it’s one of the bulkier and heavier chairs to carry around.
Ozark Trail Folding Hammock Chair
If you want a folding hammock chair that will make you feel like you’re literally in a hammock, the Ozark Trail Folding Hammock Chair is the best folding hammock chair for you. It’s one of the most comfortable camp chairs for a low price and can hold up to 300 pounds. This chair is a great all-around option for everyone in the family, as it’s big enough for adults but low enough to the ground for easy access for children.
Whether you want to curl up in a ball, swing in the breeze, or just sit comfortably while watching an outdoor sporting event, this hammock chair is a gem. It also comes with a low price, a carrying case, and an easy setup.
- It’s one of the most inexpensive hammock-style folding chairs on this list at just $40.
- Very versatile as it’s perfect for kids or adults.
- At over 11 pounds in weight, the chair certainly isn’t heavy, but it’s heavier than most.
- It doesn’t include additional accessories such as cupholders, a headrest, or armrests.
Rio Gear Outdoor Foldable Hammock Lounger
Weighing just 11 lbs when packed up for transportation, the Rio Gear Outdoor Foldable Hammock Lounger is on the heavy side, but not so much that it’s impractical. It also features a simple setup procedure and repacks easily, making carrying it around for use anywhere a piece of cake. It even supports a weight limit of up to 300 pounds. Sit back, relax and enjoy – the extended dip provided by this hammock lowers your center of gravity and increases the comfort factor as nothing else does.
This remarkable chair allows you to sway back and forth while lying in the padded and breathable polyester seat. It also features a comfortable foam pillow to rest your head as the static and stable powder-coated steel frame does a wonderful job of keeping things steady.
- Durable powder-coated steel frame for outdoor use
- Polyester hammock with foam pillow provided for added comfort
- Ideal for sitting or rocking back and forth
- Easy to set up and pack away
- Budget-friendly and value-for-money product
- The sitting height may be on the high side for shorter people.
- At 11 pounds in weight, it’s on the higher side compared to other folding hammock chairs.
Nemo Stargaze Low Chair
If you’re on the vertically challenged side of life, the Nemo Stargaze Low Chair is the best folding hammock chair for you. It has a ton of features, doesn’t lack comfort, and is sure to make you the envy of your tall friends. The chair swings smoothly and gently, allowing you to rock your worries away. This chair also has a reclining feature allowing you almost to lie down and rest your feet on a nearby log or structure.
The frame is aircraft-grade aluminum, solid and sturdy. The fabric is a non-absorbent monofilament mesh, it is cool and breezy, and it resists bacteria and withstands sun exposure. It can support up to 300 pounds despite its compact size and structure.
- Weighing in at a hair over five pounds, this is one of the lightest of the best folding hammock chairs on the market.
- The attached carrying bag makes it easy to transfer from place to place.
- It also has superior craftsmanship and an excellent warranty if you’re worried about problems.
- It’s relatively expensive for its size compared to other hammock chairs.
- The chair also has to be disassembled and reassembled whenever you want to use it.
Rio Foldable Hammock Chair
If you’re on a budget and not looking to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a chair, the Rio Foldable Hammock Chair may be the best folding hammock chair for you. At just $70, it’s one of the highest-quality and yet low-priced chair options on the market. It features a relatively high seat and a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds.
However, it still has the swinging capabilities typical of most hammock chairs. This Rio chair also offers a padded headrest, a simple carrying case, and an oversized seat that can fit users well over six feet tall. It’s also fairly sturdy, considering how cheap it is.
- It’s highly affordable for a folding hammock chair at just $70.
- The big seating area and high seat make it suitable for taller individuals.
- It has light padding, which makes it very breathable.
- At 13 pounds, this chair is relatively heavy for how little weight it can support.
- It also doesn’t include a footrest and has small armrests.
Why Choose a Folding Hammock Chair?
We’re likely all familiar with how hammocks work and how comfortable they are. Most people are also familiar with hanging hammock chairs, which are similar to hammocks but designed for sitting rather than lying down. However, folding hammock chairs are relatively new to the camping world but are quickly gaining popularity.
Folding hammock chairs are one of the most comfortable folding chair options in the country. They provide the comfort and relaxation of a hammock with the convenience and portability of a folding chair. They typically come with their own carry bag, making them easy to transport from one place to another. Additionally, most folding hammock chairs weigh between five and ten pounds, meaning that almost anyone can carry them.
Folding hammock chairs are also more compact than traditional hammock chairs and take up much less space. They’re also freestanding, which means they don’t need trees, hooks, or a stand to hang from. Because they’re freestanding and have support legs, folding hammock chairs are more stable than traditional ones.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Folding Hammock Chair For You
As a general rule, having any hammock chair is better than not having one at all. However, if you hope to purchase the best folding hammock chair for you, here are some things to keep in mind when making your choice.
Where You Plan to Use It
Most folding hammock chairs are similar in their design and structure. However, some are more tailored to camping, whereas others are better for relaxing on a sandy beach. Where you plan to get the most use out of your chair should factor into which one you choose.
The Weather Conditions
Certain hammock chairs hold up better in cold weather, rain, and moisture than other types of hammock chairs.
Setup Time and Difficulty
Most folding hammock chairs are very easy to set up and require little work. However, some of the cheaper or more complicated options may have designs or accessories that make the setup more difficult.
Weight and Portability
One of the biggest things you should consider is how lightweight and easy to transfer the chair is. If you plan to take your folding chair hiking or on a weekend canoe trip, you may want to choose a chair that’s lighter and more compact than a hammock chair.
User Height and Weight
The best folding hammock chairs have great support and can hold as much if not more weight as other folding chairs. It’s important to choose one befitting your weight and height, as different chairs sit at different heights off the ground.
Finally, different manufacturers include different accessories with their hammock chairs. Chairs designed for beach lounging, for example, might be sold with an umbrella or have a good spot to attach one to. Most chairs also have certain features such as pockets, pouches, and hooks to hang and store things.
Are Folding Hammock Chairs Worth It?
A folding hammock chair is undoubtedly worth it if you value comfort and relaxation above all else. There are few ways to better enjoy a cold drink on a warm day or take a nap in the sun than with a folding hammock chair. They’re also perfect for transporting from place to place, making them an excellent option for summer sporting events, concerts, campfires, and camping trips.
You’re also not sacrificing lumbar and joint support for comfort. If you’re willing to spend a little extra, you can get a top-notch hammock chair that provides ample back and neck support. No matter what you’re looking for, you’re sure to find the best folding hammock chair for all your needs.
Wrapping Up Best Folding Hammock Chairs
Folding hammock chairs are revolutionizing the world of camping chairs. Where once your only options were stiff and uncomfortable folding chairs, you now have the option to be just as comfortable outside as you would be inside on your recliner. No matter how tall, heavy, stiff, or sore you are, folding hammock chairs might be the chair for you. At the very least, you should visit your local outdoor store and test a few out. Just be warned, however, that if you find the right one, it’s going to be hard to say no!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Jalin Coblentz was born and raised in the hills of northeast Ohio, where he grew up camping with friends and family. Jalin started tent camping at an early age and has done a number of weekend trips into the woods with nothing but food, water, his sleeping bag, and a tent.
Currently, Jalin is a full-time RVer who travels from campground to campground with his wife and their standard-size Goldendoodle Harper. He is a full-time content writer, copywriter, and blogger, and his work is featured on dozens of websites and platforms.